Social Media, otherwise known as Web 2.0, is rapidly overtaking our culture and business world. This is a dramatic trend shift that is reshaping the way we communicate, do business, and build relationships. It’s a tough concept to understand- how a computer can do all this and have such power in our lives. Whatever your perception and taste for this new online world, its definitely not going away. If you want to survive consider this direction of thought, why don’t you be the leader in your environment and learn all you can so that you keep that competitive edge over your competitors. This could prove to be one of the best strategic practices you could ever make.
Social media isn’t without its frustrations or drawbacks. Try to learn all you can and listen to the experts. This will save you a lot of time and headache, because trust me, the experts have already made most of these. Here are my top 5 things to remember to stay focused, driven, and purposeful when taking that leap into this abyss.
1. Don’t try to do them all. The top 5 to use: Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, WordPress, Google analytics/RSS/Adwords
2. Use a focused strategy, that will integrate social media marketing strategies into your traditional marketing strategies
3. Listen and learn the etiquette for each site and engage accordingly
4. Enjoy, laugh, and most importantly Be Real
5. 20 minutes a day is all it takes!
Every business and facet of our world is engaging in social media. You need to be too.