With all the talk of the new year and making new year’s resolutions, my thoughts have been swimming through all the typicals: you know them. Lose weight, Get in Shape, Eliminate your debt, yadda…yadda…yadda. The web has endless possibilities to consider, to name a few . . . take Goals Guy’s Top Ten:
1. Lose Weight and Get in Better Physical Shape ~ 2. Stick to a Budget ~ 3. Debt Reduction ~ 4. Enjoy More Quality Time with Family & Friends ~ 5. Find My Soul Mate ~ 6. Quit Smoking ~ 7. Find a Better Job ~ 8. Learn Something New ~ 9. Volunteer and Help Others ~ 10. Get Organized
Nothing new here to consider. I need something a little more real. With all my passion and excitement in the world of social media, I then discovered another Top ten List. Aliza Sherman’s “10 Golden Rules of Social Media,” now this was getting much warmer! These tips are awesome! Here they are in a nutshell. . .
1. Respect the Spirit of the ‘Net 2. Listen 3. Add Value 4. Respond 5. Do Good Things 6. Share the Wealth 7. Give Kudos 8. Don’t Spam 9. Be Real 10. Collaborate
So, here are my suggestions and my own personal “Top Ten” things to accomplish in 2010:
1. To Live Every Day with Passion!
2. To have special days with my family. What this means is Monday – is family night, Tuesday – is game night, Wednesday – is learn to cook night, Thursday – is sports night, Friday – is movie night.
3. Discipline!! To Time-block better. Meaning work while I’m at work and turn off my computer and phone when I am at home. I don’t know if any of you feel the same, but it seems harder and harder in life to set limits and disconnect from technology and work when you should and be home when you should.
4. To learn or grow one talent. For me this means to take on a sport, rock climbing, that I have always enjoyed and turn it into a strong passion. To learn all I can about the sport and practice it until I become an expert. Every adult needs one thing that is theirs. We are too inundated with life sometimes that these escapes are critical to our survival. Women are especially guilty on not doing this; we tend to nurture everyone else and everything in our lives except ourselves.
5. To Vacation or camp in 3 new places. My girls love nothing better than to go on an adventure in the pop-up camper and spend the weekend motorcycing by day and roasting marshmallows by night. The simple moments seem to always be the most memorable.
6. To buy my first Real Estate Investment Property. I have always wanted to be a true real estate investor. This is a scary, yet exciting thing to undertake. I need to finally stop “hoping” for that goal, but to put my dreams into action and start the real journey to actually invest.
7. To Pay off One Big Debt. You always here the cliche goal of “I want to get out of debt”, but my thoughts are be specific. Take it one thing at a time and slowly this general statement will be come a reality. Six more months and my Beemer will finally be paid off!!
8. To Write One Page a week. I have a dream of writing my first book. I love teaching and consulting others in social media and would love to be able to write about those experiences. To be able to share my knowledge with others is one of the most fulfilling parts of my life. But when I think about writing a book, I easily get overwhelmed and don’t know where to begin. So, once again, I need to keep it simple and take it one day at a time.
9. Work out differently. Working out and staying in shape can become so mundane. That is why we fall of the wagon so quickly and easily. Take on a new class at the gym that you have never tried before, like Zamba (is that what its called.) Or start the cycle class once a week and meet new people.
10. Reconnect with Spiritual things. Life is so fast-paced and overwhelming at times. We live in information overload society. How do we keep up. I need to establish some habits of prayer and meditation that help me reconnect with God and my purpose in life. This makes everything else make sense.
These are my goals and dreams for 2010. I hope they inspire you to seriously think about yours and write them down. Post them where you can read them everyday, and before you know it your dreams will quickly become a reality.
One of my favorite quote so elegantly sums it up… “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you’ve imagined” (Thoreau)